5.22.2006

Weekend

I'm trying to be a bit more regular about writing. I enjoy it and it is an opportunity to reflect. This is my only chance to do so at work, as the rest of the week I will be in training with no access to a computer. My Blackberry keeps tabs on my e-mail, but no surf capability from the Blackberry.

It was a good weekend. About halfway through preparing the Friday dinner menu, I feared that I may have undertaken more than I could handle in two hours. But it all came together at about 2.5 hours. Only criticism was that I put too much salt in the biscuits for the strawberry shortcake. I'm not sure if I can blame the recipe, since I didn't actually measure the salt. I dumped it in my hand and poured it into the dough.

K's schedule was definitely disrupted Friday. Our guests stayed until about 1 am. We went through 2.5 bottles of wine and I ended up somewhat hung over the next morning. Not terrible, but it has been a long time since I was careless enough to get a hangover. The bad part about it was that we got up at 9 am and had a personal training session at 10 am. Against all odds, I did feel better after the session.

Saturday, we spent in the backyard. I planted my little plants in the borders, we cleaned up a broken flower box (assholes keep running over the bricks and shattering the box). We have the biggest parking spot in the alley. So when people with large vehicles roar down the alley, not bothering to find out if they can exit at the other end, (they can't), after reversing down the alley, they use our spot to turn their overgrown, gas guzzling pigmobiles around. Yes, it is a sore subject. My flowers have been ruined, the motorcycle hit, and our fence almost torn from the ground by these people who cannot maneuver their vehicles in small places. Why do you need a huge SUV when you live in a city that has snow once a year?

Back to business--K and I were extremely productive outside. It was great. Then in the early evening, a friend came over and he and K tried to get her motorcycle started. It hasn't been run in several years. The bike wanted to start, but just couldn't quite pull it off. K was disappointed by not distraught, which is a huge change. For a couple of years, she couldn't even uncover the bike because she was so upset by how it looked. When she moved here the bike was in perfect condition after living for years in a garage. But here, it is kept covered outside. Perhaps, if it is running and she wants to keep it, we'll spring for indoor storage next winter.

On Friday, we are intending to get a tow truck to take it out to the cycle shop that we've selected and leave it for them to work on. After it's running, we'll take the time to straighten out the plates and inspections. Bureaucratic mess that we usually don't get in to, but it happened this time.

Saturday evening, we ended up hosting another small dinner party. Seems like even making burgers, baked beans, salad, and appetizer all took a lot of work. Not quite such a late night, but 11 pm is late enough if you are accustomed to being asleep by 10 pm.

Sunday was another beautiful day. We headed out to Home Depot and loaded up the car with mulch. K got a hedge trimmer that she's coveted for ages. I have no clue what she's planning to do with it, as we have no hedges in sight. But I won't let her buy a chain saw, so this may be the surrogate.

I spent a couple hours weeding and mulching the front yard. Amazing difference. This year, I went with the black mulch instead of the regular. I'm tired of the mulch fading and looking icky after a few days. I'll see if the black mulch continues to look good for a longer time. I am not a fan of Home Depot, but we had gift cards and the Lowes is way too far away.

This morning, we both bounded out of bed and headed to the office. Actually, I didn't quite bound. I took an ambien last night and was too tired to make it to my am workout. But I did make it to work on-time, and that counts for something.

K and I both commented throughout the weekend, how much we were enjoying the time together and the luxury of being able to work on the house and appreciate the weather. K was also able to do a lot more, partially a benefit of her weight lifting and increased physical activity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Classes
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Site Meter