7.28.2005

Off to the airport

Instead of blogging, I ought to be finishing my packing, as I'm heading off to see my mother this morning. I'll only be gone until Sunday morning, but it will give us a chance to catch up and K a chance to have the house to herself. A sign of progress, as this is the first time in several years that I've planned a trip and K hasn't spent the days prior to my departure agonizing about being left alone. Even when I went away for ONE night at the end of March, K missed work and worried herself sick about being alone. This time, I don't think she even thought about it, as she's involved her job and otherwise occupied.

The other exciting news is that K accepted a social engagement while I'm out of town. The girlfriend of a friend of ours took the bar exam earlier this week and is having a small dinner gatherine at a local sake bar to celebrate. K and I were invited, and normally K would decline the invitiation. But, she really likes our friend and she's going out on her own to celebrate. K commented that she believes it is the first time in 8 years, we will have known each other 8 years on Sunday, that she's gone out alone. Now, that's an exaggeration, but it has been a while. Another very positive sign.

I'm continuing to feel better, though K having issues with her job still sends a jolt of fear from my chest to my stomach, but I'm slowly adjusting. I've fallen off the gym routine this week, due to the oppressively hot weather. It's finally better today, but I would have had to go at 5 am and I couldn't bear to do that, when I have a day off. Instead, I rose a bit after 6 am to give K a ride to the office. I made her purchase me a latte at Starbucks for payment.

The turnaround in K over the past 6 weeks or so has been amazing. She's engaged at the office. We hit the Nordstrom's anniversary sale and bought her a new suit. She's still shopping in the women's section, but with luck she'll continue to lose weight and move back to the regular sizes. We won't even discuss how much I bought at the sale. I'm dreading the American Express bill this month, but I need the clothing for work. K encouraged me to keep the $500 suit, when I might have returned it. Gray wool pant suit with stripes and a beautiful jacket.

I've spent a long time whining on this blog that I want my partner back and she is. I thrilled. Now I need to call the office, finish packing, and head out the door.

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger broke said...

It's great to hear about K's increasing independence and strength. It really touches me to read your posts - your care and anxiety for K are tangible. Thank god that some of us who live close to the edge have people like you around us to shield us from the storms. We really are the lucky ones.

I do hope that you also get the support you need. I have realized so vividly recently that my illness exacts a heavy toll on (my) K. She needs rest and support too.
Take care, and have a good weekend,
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Classes
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Site Meter