1.17.2005

After some of the comments regarding bipolar remission that were made last week, I realized that I was confused about exactly what remission entailed. With that thought, I began actually doing some research as to what K and I should expect from a remission diagnoses. I stumbled across the DSM-IV additional treatment guide for bipolar disorder, thanks to McMann's Depression and Bipolar Web.

John McManamy does a better job than I could of discussing 2002 changes to the DSM-IV regarding the possibilities of bipolar remission. But, the short version is that in 1994 the best hope for a patient with bipolar disorder was to have fewer episodes. In 2002, the opinion has been revised to say "Treatment is aimed at stabilization of the episode with the goal of achieving remission, defined as a complete return to baseline level of functioning and a virtual lack of symptoms." Check out his article if you are interested. Suffice to say, the study and understanding of bipolar disorder continues to evolve.

After finding this article, I turned to the actual DSM-IV Revised Guidelines for Treating Patients with Bipolar Disorder

It was fascinating in that K's treatment plan was described almost to the last detail, along with lengthier descriptions of symptoms, implications, and impacts. It didn't say anything fundamentally different than what her psychiatrist told us, but he gives us quite a bit of information. There are definitions of the different states of bipolar disorder, manic, depression, and mixed. The treatment alternatives as well as cautionary notes are included. It is worth investigating.

The surprising thing is that the understanding and treatments for bipolar disorder continue to evolve. It's very good, but somehow I expect the doctors to have already gotten to the root of the problems and not continue to work on it. I realize that my thoughts make no logical sense, but I still was surprised that in an 8 year period the prognosis for bipolar moved from trying to reduce the number of episodes you live with to an expectation that the episodes can be fully controlled through medication. Very different impacts on the patient's life.

On a more personal note, it's been a good four-day weekend for us. We got irritated with each other a couple of times over the past few days, but nothing particular stands out as a problem. The week will be short, as we also have Thursday off for the coronation.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just been diagnosed with bipolar ii. I've been on a roller coaster ride since then.

I have been married for 19 years and my husband is not taking the news well. He's shared the news with some friends and I'm having a very hard time with that as I'm not ready to go public. It makes me angry and upset.

Any suggestions on how I should deal with this?

Thanks,

J

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger synergy said...

J--L here--You have my sympathy. You are dealing with a new, scary diagnoses and trying to find out how to manage it. Your husband is also dealing with the fear that you have or will fundamentally change. Both of you need support. It is critical that you work out a way that you can each receive the support that you need in order to get through this. When I forwarded your note on to K, her reaction was that the two of you may wish to consider couples counseling. It may be a matter of agreeing who should be told about your illness.

There have been times that K has been upset with me for sharing parts of her illness with my/our friends. My response is that I need support in order to be able to make it and remain supportive of K. I advise you to discuss this with your husband and find some middle ground and consider counseling together or if not, for you separately to help you work through your own emotions about your diagnoses.

Good luck!

L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Classes
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Site Meter