11.10.2004

Contractor Overload and Meltdown

As a way to manage all of the work occurring in the basement and some of the work occurring in other rooms in the house, we are working with a general contractor. He has this incredible work ethic and seems to work about 16 hours a day. We are only one of his projects.

The bad part is that he occasionally drags us into his crazy schedule. Last night, we had contractors show up at 6:30 pm to work at finishing up the basement digging. We disengaged and went out for a nice dinner.

However, on our way home, I checked in with our general contractor only to find he was heading over to our place at 8 pm. (Note: we go to bed around 9 pm every night.) He brought his cousin, who was in town visiting for only one night, and a plumber along with him. This would have been fine, except then we had to wait for a drywall guy to come and check out our dining room, which is awaiting some drywall on one wall. We didn't manage to usher them all out the door until almost 10 pm.

The drywall guy wanted to start today and I noticed K wasn't happy about it, but I ignored the danger signals and agreed. She had a meltdown in the middle of the night, and awoke at 3 am in a rage state. Her goal every week is to work her full number of hours, which is 80 in a 2-week period. Today, she's still asleep at noon, while she tries to recover from meltdown.

I called this morning and canceled the drywall guy from starting until Friday, to give us some breathing room. So our only contractor visitors were the electricians and the furniture refininsher, who continues to refinish a table in our living room.

K's meltdown is a reminder to me that I need to make sure to pay attention to her warning signs, which I saw last night and chose to ignore. She'll be fine once she gets up. I also need to speak to our general contractor about not coming over too late. He knows K's health is an issue, due to the heart attack, and he is hyper-conscious of it. But he gets carried away trying to get work done.

Even with all the progress, her schedule is virtually sacrosanct as a way of keeping her stable and healthy. Less sacrosanct than it used to be, but still critical.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Portia Micello said...

L, I admire your understanding of K's need for her schedule. I can't imagine need of so stringent a schedule, a lack of which will result in emotional upheaval. K is surely lucky to have you. You're one in a million. In fact, I need someone to chase me off to my bed on time so I would do a better job sticking to mine. Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Classes
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Site Meter